21 August 2011

There You Are, Texas Star!

So this morning started off great, within 5 minutes of leaving the hotel in Plano, I had turned the wrong way down a one way street and missed my on ramp for the freeway.  Oops!  Oh well, I got myself turned around and on the freeway and after 19 hours and 13 minutes of total driving from Cedarburg to San Antonio and 1,335 miles, I made it to Fort Sam Houston.  Texas is quite the state, they definitely do things bigger here.  While driving I went through a county and saw a sign for County Road 3018.  Really??  3018!?  That's a lot of roads for one county. 

So I made it to post, surprisingly went in the correct gate the first time and found the hotel right away.  I got checked in and met my roommate, who is from South Dakota and seems pretty awesome.  She was ROTC so thankfully has some Army knowledge and can help me get going!  Fortunately, we got a room in the hotel we will be staying at for the next 9 weeks and we don't have to move so we spent the afternoon unpacking, getting settled, and getting to know each other more.  I'm excited, I think we are going to get along great.  She has a friend she went to school with in July class so I met him today also and I think we are all going to go out for dinner tonight.  I like that everyone is new here, lots of instant friends!   
Tomorrow is in-processing.  Shouldn't be too complicated and will hopefully only take about an hour.  Then we have the day to explore the base more, stop in clothing supply and pick up a few things and who knows what else!  Guess that's about all for now.  I'll try and take some pictures of my room at some point and post those as well. 
Tips for the day: be flexible!  There is no method to the maddness.  My roommate was chosen because she was standing in line behind me so just go with the flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment