25 August 2011

Day 2, 3, and 4: And So It Begins...

Tuesday morning we started out in the classroom with a few briefs to get everyone squared away, then we headed out to the pt field for some drill and ceremony.  Drill and ceremony is marching and formation.  After 30 minutes in the pt field, our entire company mastered marching and marched off to breakfast.  Then it was back to the classroom to learn the "in's and out's" of the military.  Did a lot of administration stuff so we can get paid, had briefs by the chaplain, company commander, and learned more about uniforms and saluting.

Tips: One thing I had learned previously from my friend Caitlin that I had forgotten about was that you can only have one friend.  If you go anywhere in groups of 3 or more you have to walk in formation.  So my battle buddy is my roommate and she can be only friend...(well, not really but...)

Yesterday started out with PT in the morning, I think we had to report to formation around 0530 but it was so early, I don't remember.  That was pretty basic, and then it was to the classroom we went for a full day of briefs on everything from a welcome from the battallion commander, Leave/Mileage passes, inspector general's office, sexual assault, Equal Opportunity, and lots of other stuff.  It was a really long day, and often times difficult to stay awake.  They don't really appreciate students falling asleep in class but proper military etiquette says that you can go stand in the back of the classroom to keep yourself from falling asleep.  Half way through most of the briefs, about half of the group is standing in the back of the room, it gets pretty amusing.  I was also saluted for the first time, that was weird and slightly awkward but kind of cool at the same time! 

Today was full of...you guessed it...more briefs.  I was dismissed from class for the morning to head to the G2 office and get my security clearance sorted out but being the over achiever that I am, did the majority of it on my own time, the night before because I thought it was something I had to do so I was done in about an hour and made it back to class for most of the morning.  It was ok though because that way I didn't miss anything important.  We heard from a variety of people today on heat/injury prevention, Tricare (which is our insurance), suicide prevention, Army Values, Army family team building, substance abuse, officer roles, and finished off the day with a security brief.  Fortunaly, many of our presentors are pretty funny, especially the Captain who gave our heat/injury prevention breif.  A good sense of humor definitely makes the time pass much faster!  We also had a meeting with just the Army Nurses and our Nurse Liaison.  I met a couple of nurses that will be going to Walter Reed with me.  I'm so glad to have finally met some people.  It's interesting to find out where everyone is going after training.  A lot of people who had a first choice of Walter Reed and another choice of Germany and they got Germany, my first choice, and I got Walter Reed!  It makes no sense.  They did tell us that if we found someone with our exact situation, and a lot of other criteria, we could switch assignments.  I'm thinking about it, but I've already done so much prep for Walter Reed and gotten excited about it, I think I'll just keep it.  Besides,  I think there is a lot of additional paperwork I would need to do to change to an overseas location. 

Tomorrow we don't have PT and we get to sleep in!  Pretty excited about that!  We're headed to CIF to get our field gear issued and that's all we have going on for the day.  It should still take several hours to get everyone through but hopefully we won't go until 1800.  It's also going to be a great day because then it's the weekend!  We can't go anywhere outside of a 50 mile radius of post but 2 days off will be nice.  Next week is a 4 day week because of the labor day holiday and I think we're going to take a trip to Corpus Christi...should be interesting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment