31 October 2011

Last Week in Texas!

I can't believe it has finally arrived!  Our last week in Texas!  First I'll post a couple of pictures from our graduation I was able to get from my dad's camera...

(This is part of Alpha Company 187th Medical Battalion)

 (I'm in this picture if you look hard)

It was another busy week, a couple of cool things but overall, just another week and I'm glad it's over!  We had Monday mostly off because the group was touring BAMC and the Center for the Intrepid.  I have toured the hospital already so I just went to the Center for the Intrepid.  It's a state-of-the-art rehab facility, I've been there before but wanted to go back because of how cool it is.  I also had some time to take care of some things for my apartment, set up the electric company, schedule my household goods to be delivered, and look into internet and cable.  I also found out my apartment was partially remodeled after the last tenants moved out and I now have brand new appliances!  Really excited about that!

Tuesday we had a bunch of briefs during the day and got out early because some of our presenters couldn't make it and had to reschedule.  We learned about research, I guess none of us have done that before so they needed to teach us...wait...we all did that in college...

Wednesday we had our Video Teleconference with our gaining unit.  All of us going to Walter Reed got to meet the director of Nursing as well as some other people we will be meeting when we get there.  We were able to ask anything we wanted and got a lot of good information about what to do when we get there as well as what cell service has the best coverage and lots of other random questions.  Since everyone had different meeting times with their units, our hour-long meeting was all that was on the schedule for the day so we got another admin day!

Thursday our group presented our book report. Yes, we had to do a book report. Our book was called Leadership and Self Deception...it was pretty good. Our entire platoon read the same book and then we had to present to the other platoons; we did a skit just to make it interesting.  The afternoon was really cool, we had a panel of 5 Wounded Warriors come in and talk to the group about their injuries and experiences both on and off the battlefield and their thoughts about the medical care they received.  It was really interesting!

Friday morning we had a few more last minute briefs and then we had out-processing!  Kinsey and I decided to go out for dinner as one last night out and then we came back to the hotel to pack up our stuff.  It didn't take as long as I thought it would either!

Saturday morning I got up early to grab some breakfast, load up the car, and start driving.  I made it all the way to Lebanon, Missouri before I stopped for the night.  Sunday I was able to stop in Springfield, IL to see Karli again, we went to lunch and hung out for a couple of hours before I started my last leg home.  Got home about 8pm and now I have the next week and a half of vacation before I start driving out to Maryland on the 9th.  Not anything exciting to talk about while I'm at home so I'll continue posting once I start my journey east!

No comments:

Post a Comment