17 September 2011

Week 4: So Close...To The Half Way Point...

We just completed week 4 of training.  Only one more week in the classroom then we are headed out to the field.  We only had 3 days of actual powerpoints this week but it felt like it dragged on forever!  Monday and Tuesday were both SRP days.  I got my official military ID on Monday, nice to finally have that and Tuesday was immunizations.  I thought I was doing myself a favor by bringing a copy of all my immunizations with me to training in the hopes that I wouldn't have to get them again.  I was wrong.  Apparently, the military doesn't recognize any immunization before the age of 12.  Dumb.  I had to get 2 in each arm, a TB test in my forearm, and then they drew blood for titers.  So he started in my right arm, blew the vein and then moved to my left arm.  So I got stabbed a total of 7 times.  Not fun.  On top of that, the person in line before me got the last Hep A vaccine before they ran out.  So after we finished waiting around at one place, I had to spend half my afternoon running around to other various locations trying to get my last vaccine.  One thing I did learn about the military is it's very easy to not have to do your job.  If someone comes up to the desk you are working at and asks for something, all you have to do is tell them you don't do that, they have to go somewhere else for that.  Then, each additional person you come to says the same thing and you spend half your day trying to track down the correct person, in the correct location, all the while hoping they have the correct paperwork.  You can see how this might get slightly frustrating.  I'm really glad I have my car so I can at least get to where I think I need to be. 

We had PT Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week.  PT days aren't much fun because we are up about 0430.  It's nice to get the work out in but it's so early and makes the day that much longer.  We had our CBRNE exam on Thursday.  CBRNE stands for chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosives.  Basically, we learn about all the various possible attacks, what could happen, what to do if one does happen and how to treat it, and what to look for to prevent it.  The test was pretty easy, it's open book, open note, and they pretty much give you all of the answers in their lectures when they say, "PUT A STAR NEXT TO THIS, YOU'LL PROBABLY SEE IT AGAIN!"  Friday we had our midterm exam.  Again, pretty easy.  They give you a study guide and if you know the information on that you'll do fine.  I think you have to get 70% or better to pass.  Only one person in our platoon didn't.  We are also doing presentations as well.  You could pick any topic you wanted, as long as it relates to military or health care and you have to give a 5-7 minute brief on it.  I'm doing the History of Walter Reed Army Medical Center.  I thought it would be good to learn about it, since I'll be moving there in 2 months.  They have a couple of days set aside at  the end of this coming week to do all the presentations but our platoon cadre (cadre is the "faculty" for our class) decided that if we split the platoon in thirds and crank out some each day then hopefully we won't have to come in those last couple of days!  Everyone is on board for that.  I haven't given mine yet, but probably Monday or Tuesday. 

My roommate, Kinsey, won a party at a place called Howl at the Moon.  It's a dueling piano bar here in San Antonio on the river walk.  So last night was the big night.  It was for her and 100 of her closest friends so she invited her whole platoon (she's in 6th) and then told them to bring all of their roommates.  Basically we got in for free, got some free food, and then got two tickets for $1 drinks.  It was a pretty fun night, lots of singing along and drinking, always a good combination!  Today I think we're going to Sea World but we don't have definite plans yet.  Sea World lets military personnel in for free (only once per year) so that should be really fun!  I've only been there once, when I was little, and from the stories I've been told, I cried when Shamoo splashed me...he was supposed to be my friend...I probably wouldn't mind being wet today though, at least it would cool me off!

This coming week, (our last week in the classroom!) we have our ASU inspections, we are going to be learning weapons (oh boy!  hand guns and rifles!), we have our final exam, a couple of assignments due, the last of our presentations, and that's about it!  Hoping it cools down more before we head into the field, although it has been getting better.  That's about it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment