15 July 2011

Meet Augustus: The Not-So-Lucky German Pig



Meet Augustus, the not-so-lucky German pig.  Allow me to explain.  Augustus came to live with me a week or so ago when my friend Dawn came down to the Milwaukee area for the weekend and we had the opportunity to go to dinner.  We have been good friends since we met in college several years ago.  She knew how much I wanted to be stationed in Germany so when she saw him at the store she had to get him for me.  According to the box he came in, "In Germany, when someone is lucky, it is customary to say 'Ich Habe Schwein Gehabt,' which means 'I have had pig'.  This tradition dates back to hard times, when if you had a pig to feed your family you were considered fortunate.  The Good Luck Pig bestows good fortune and luck wherever he goes!  Find a special place for him in your home and he will bring you luck and success!"  After much laughter and joking we decided he needed a good German name and we felt Augustus was fitting (remember Augustus Gloop from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory??).

Well, today I found out Augustus is a 'not-so-lucky' pig.  I got word that I will not be stationed in Germany and instead will be moving to my 5th choice, Bethesda, Maryland to start my Army nursing career at the newly combined Walter Reed Military Medical Center. 

While disappointed that I will not be swilling beers at Oktoberfest or testing the limits of my car on the autobahn, I have never been out east either.  I have always wanted to experience the history of the war memorials and battlefields, take a tour of the White House, wander through the 19 museums and galleries associated with the Smithsonian Institution, visit the National Zoo, and see everything else our nation's capital has to offer.  In fact, I'm not sure one year will be enough time!  I think everything in life happens for a reason, sometimes things don't go as planned but that's ok because it means that something better is just around the corner.  I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to get a bachelor's degree and that I had job before I graduated from college.  I'm thrilled that I passed my nursing boards on the first try and that I have family and friends who have supported me all of my life and throughout my decision to join the military.  Bethesda, Maryland might not be Landstuhl, Germany but I'm excited about my new adventure, living in a new city, and all of the new friends I will make along the way.   

So, with all that in mind, I guess Augustus might just be lucky after all, and so am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment